In some instances, the suggestion to switch to reusable plastic pallets is met with resistance. The general answer is: we have always used corrugated or wooden pallets and everything is fine with them. Our specialists know that it is not so – that’s why the client contacted us, after all. So we decided to put together a list of frequently asked questions about plastic pallets and give helpful answer.
We believe that this reusable plastic pallets FAQ article will help many logistics and purchase managers understand the benefits of choosing a modern packaging solution.
Why Are Reusable Plastic Pallets More Sustainable than the Ones We Use?
Sustainability means more than being a “green” company. It means that your company chooses to reduce expenses related to:
- Purchasing pallets on a constant basis
- Dealing with the waste created by damaged pallets
- Loss of goods in transit when pallets break down.
Reusable plastic pallets, as their name states, can be used multiple times. Their lifespan is measured in years, not in days or months. Also, their solid build means that you can use the plastic pallets intensely, with minimum maintenance and washing.
How Do Reusable Plastic Pallets Help Me Save on Shipping Costs?
As you well know, transportation companies charge by weight and volume. When you put your merchandize on corrugated or wooden pallets, you can only create small stacks. The static load capacity of these pallets is very low.
By contrast, reusable plastic pallets for heavy duty use have a static load loading capacity of up to 4,800 kg. This means that you can create higher stacks and, thus, reduce the volume of your shipments. In turn, this means that you will pay less per shipment.
How Do Plastic Pallets Optimize My Supply Chain?
Reusable plastic pallets promote supply chain optimization in several ways. Let us examine a few of them:
- Automation – you can install automatic packaging and handling systems, including robots and conveyor belts. Plastic pallets are designed for use with these systems. Wooden or corrugated pallets are not compatible with modern production and warehousing equipment
- Reduce the total amount of handling – plastic pallets can be used during the entire supply chain, from the moment a product is manufactured, until it reaches the retail store
- Adequate for in-store display – reusable plastic pallets maintain their clean, professional look throughout their entire lifespan. You can display products in stores placed on plastic pallets.
How Do Plastic Pallets Protect Products Better than Other Types?
Switching to reusable plastic pallets is one of the simplest solutions to reduce the quantity of products damaged during handling and shipping. We constantly improve the design and build of these pallets to enhance product protection.
Here are some of the most important ways in which plastic pallets protect products:
- Compatible with automated handling equipment (including loading and unloading forklifts and pallet trucks) to reduce the risk of accidents due to manual handling errors
- Sturdy build that withstands significant mechanical shocks and does not break down under heavy weights (up to the specified loading capacity)
- Anti-slip mats can be installed on plastic pallets as additional protection
- Load securing accessories can offer adequate protection to products of challenging shapes (pipes, coils, etc.)
Why Are Reusable Plastic Pallets Better for Shipping Food Products?
The food industry is heavily regulated in all countries. And this is perfectly justified, as people’s health depends on safe food. Unfortunately, wooden and corrugated pallets are not acceptable for shipping food.
They pose several risks:
- Absorbing liquids and contaminants and passing them to other products
- Splintering and damaging the primary packaging of fresh products, such as meat, dairy products and farm produce
- Contaminating cleanrooms.
Reusable plastic pallets are available in specific models created for the food industry. Hygienic or cleanroom pallets have a special design, with smooth surfaces, which are easy to clean and sanitize. They are also made of raw materials approved for food contact.
Plastic Pallets Cost More – How Do They Help Me Save Money?
Finally, many clients notice the difference in cost between plastic pallets and wooden pallets. However, as explained above, reusable plastic pallets have a superior lifespan. One batch of plastic pallets outlasts dozens of batches of wooden pallets. When you add up the costs over the same period of time, you will find that your company spends more on wooden pallets.
Also, plastic pallets have a low total cost of ownership, because you do not need to repair them or pass them through special wash cycles to sanitize them.
If you need more reasons to switch to reusable plastic pallets, the packaging specialists at Logistic Packaging are here to help you. Send us an email to start discussing your packaging needs!